The City of Anderson is located in the northwest corner of the state of South Carolina on the Piedmont Plateau. It is the county seat located in the geographical center of the county and principal city in Anderson County. The City is ideally located on the busy Interstate 85 corridor, to which much of its economic growth can be attributed. The City lies on the southern border of Interstate 85 and is approximately 127 miles north of Atlanta, Georgia and 132 miles south of Charlotte, North Carolina. The City encompasses approximately 14 square miles and is located in the geographical center of the county. The I-85 corridor from Atlanta to Charlotte is now known as one of the nation’s hottest growth areas. Anderson County, South Carolina lies midway between Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina. This stretch of highway is one of the heaviest traveled highways in the southeast. Business leaders and development officials in Anderson have taken advantage of this asset, and visible progress is the result. Anderson County was ranked 14th out of 50 as on of the “Hottest American cities for business location,” (based on a survey of leading site consultants) according to the January 2001 issue of Expansion Management.
Anderson is a major contributor to the success of the upstate. Anderson offers all of the basics upon which to build a thriving economy, including affordable land, a good transportation system, infrastructure, and a large number of recreational amenities. In June 2000, Anderson County was one of only ten communities to be designated an All-America City by the National Civic League. The Anderson community offers the feel of small-town living with the attractions and business opportunities of larger cities only a short drive away.
From the Anderson County Airport
Form of Government
The City is governed by a Council-Manager form of government. The Council is composed of a Mayor and eight Councilmembers. The Mayor and two Councilmembers are elected at-large and six Councilmembers are elected on a single member seat basis. The Mayor and Council, elected for four-year staggered terms, are vested with the legislative and policymaking powers of the City. The Council appoints a City Manager who serves as the chief executive officer of the City and is responsible to the Council for proper administration of all affairs of the City, including
Financial affairs are under the supervision of a Finance Director who is appointed by the City Manager. The Finance Director is responsible for debt, administration, investments, accounting for appropriations and expenditures and is custodian of all City funds. The City of Anderson employees over 400 individuals who provide a wide array of public services for its residents.
Public Service Enterprises
The City of Anderson furnishes water to residents of the City. The City also provides these services to some customers located outside the City limits but within the City’s service area. The City provides wastewater transportation, treatment and disposal services to the principal urban area of Anderson County. This service is provided to customers within the City’s treatment facilities planning area of approximately 135 square miles.
The City owns and operates a public bus system. The system was previously operated by Duke Power Company as part of the City. The system, plus $2.25 million, was transferred to City ownership in 1989, and Duke Power Company was relieved from the franchise agreement.
History and Description
Anderson was named for General Robert Anderson, a Revolutionary War hero who was born in 1741 in August County, Va. He came to South Carolina to help his good friend, Andrew Pickens,in surveying some land that had been given to the English Colony by the Indians. The City was founded in December 1826 and incorporated by an act of Legislature, December 19, 1833. Anderson was the first city in the south to have an unlimited supply of electric power. The first cotton gin in the world to be operated by electricity was in Anderson County in 1897.