- This event has passed.
Board of Architectural Review (BAR)
June 16 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
An event every month that begins at 5:30 pm on day Third of the month, repeating indefinitely
The City of Anderson Board of Architectural Review (BAR) is responsible for the:
• Preservation and protection of historically and architecturally significant structures
• Preservation of the cultural and historical heritage of the City within the designated historical zones
In order to maintain the historic significance of the neighborhoods, the Anderson Board of Architectural Review has the responsibility for review and authorization of exterior changes to any property within the historic districts. Prior approval from the Board is required for any change to the exterior of a property including
• New construction/additions
• Changing paint colors/adding siding
• Demolition of any structure
• Removing or covering any architectural feature on the exterior of a structure and other alterations
• Fencing and landscaping additions
Upon approval, a Certificate of Appropriateness is granted. To obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness
• Contact the City of Anderson Planning Department for a pre-application review. The Planning staff will work with the applicant to obtain the necessary information for the Board of Architectural Review. Applications and information must be in three weeks prior to the scheduled meeting.
• The Board of Architectural Review will make a decision regarding the request at their scheduled meeting.
• If approved, a Certificate of Appropriateness will be granted in order to proceed with the proposed project. All new construction shall meet the guidelines of the Building Department.
For more information about the Historic Districts, the guidelines of the Board of Architectural Review, or for assistance in completing the application process, please call the City of Anderson Planning Department at (864) 231-2222.