ENTRY SALARY $57,420 DUQ
EXCELLENT NON SC BENEFITS
MUST SUBMIT 10 YEAR DRIVING RECORD
OPEN UNTIL 7/19/2019
- Plans, organizes, assigns and leads a crew in the daily landscape, planting and displaying flowers, shrubs, and other plants in public buildings, parks, property or rights-of-way using a variety of machines, tools, and equipment.
- Selects, orders, designs, and implements planting of flowers and shrubs throughout the downtown area, public parks, and city property on a yearly basis. Supervises the maintenance of the City’s downtown street tree inventory.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of multiple staff performing a variety of job functions at different locations.
- Supervisory duties include instructing; assigning, reviewing and planning work of others; maintaining standards and perform regular inspections of landscape and park maintenance; coordinating activities; assisting with the selection of new employees; acting on employee problems; allocating personnel; recommending and approving employee discipline, and recommending discharge as appropriate. Provides for adequate staff training.
- Meets with Beautification Supervisor to coordinate daily work schedules and conducts regular inspections of crew work for quality assurance. Also confers with other supervisors to coordinate activities of the division. Inspects work areas to determine the type of work required and materials and equipment to be used.
- Interprets policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Selects and applies specified chemical solutions to feed plants, kill insects, and treat diseases. Responsible for irrigation schedules.
- Procures supplies and equipment; monitors expenditures and prepares related reports; ensures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities and time.
- Establishes horticultural practices, standards, and schedules; establishes and maintains an efficient work order system; receives and supervise the timely completion of all work orders.
- Assists subordinates and performs activities of workers supervised. Maintains assigned tools and equipment.
- Estimates the cost of projects; obtains bids for materials and services. Oversees the work of outside contractors performing horticulture/beautification requests by the City.
- Inspects work in progress and completed to ensure compliance with city and department policies, procedures and standards of quality and safety. Coordinates assigned activities with those of other city divisions, departments and outside agencies as appropriate.
- Assists with special projects as assigned, storm cleanup and performs other services and duties as assigned.
- Responds to emergency calls during non-working hours as needed. Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns, complaints, and requests for assistance regarding areas of responsibility.
- Performs general office work as required, including preparing reports and records, copying and filing documents, answering the telephone, etc. Attends meetings, training, seminars, etc., as necessary to maintain and enhance job knowledge and skills.
- This position may require evenings and weekends as determined by recreation department administration.
- Requires computer skills that include word processing and spreadsheets, emails along with smartphones, iPad, irrigation/irrigation control boxes and the use of Operations Management Software, (Cartegraph).
- This position reports to the Recreation Division Head.
Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field or an Associate Degree in Horticulture or related field is required.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
Must possess a valid class D South Carolina Driver’s License. South Carolina Pesticides License Class 3 Turf and Ornamentals, CPR, First Aid, and AED Certification. ISA Certified Arborist credential strongly encouraged.
Over four years of experience up to and including 10 years of experience in the horticultural field or grounds maintenance and supervision, management responsibilities