SWORN OFFICER POSITION
3 years of experience
SALARY $41,203 DUQ
OPEN UNTIL 10/18/2019
- The position is to aid and coordinate support for victims and witnesses of crimes; to assist victims throughout the criminal justice process, and to perform related work as required. Sworn police position, LEVA must be able to function within the multitude of environments and working conditions and must be willing to and capable of serving in a broad capacity.
- Serves as liaison between the victim, law enforcement officers, investigators, attorneys, court personnel, creditors, and other government and community organizations. Receives and processes victim impact statements; assists victims in completing statements as necessary; assists investigators and officers with victim interviews as necessary; reviews statements, law enforcement reports, and other documentation to determine the needs of victims.
- Response to incident scenes; assists officers with interviewing victims and witnesses; photographs victims’ injuries as appropriate.
- Provides crisis counseling and emergency intervention to victims of crime; assists victims in applying for orders of protection as needed. Assist victims by referring/providing protection resource (i.e. transportation to court, emergency shelter, ADT, alarm system risk assessment, cellular phones for 911 emergencies)
- Provides emotional and moral support to victims of crimes; refers victims to other agencies in cases of physical, social and/or psychological injuries or anxieties.
- Keeps victims informed of bond hearings, jail releases, court hearings, etc.; provides courtroom orientation to victims and accompanies victims in court when support is requested.
- Transports victims to court, shelters and other locations as necessary.
- Assists in preparing victims and witnesses for court testimony.
- Attends pre-trial meetings, bond/parole hearings, and trials, and provides testimony on behalf of victims as necessary.
Requires high school diploma or GED equivalent supplemented by formal training, special courses or self-education that is equivalent to the satisfactory completion of one year of college education or specialized advanced training in police science, criminal justice or a closely related field.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
Must possess Law Enforcement Officer and firearms certifications.
Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
May be required to possess or obtain additional professional or technical certifications as deemed necessary by the Chief of Police.
3 years of law enforcement or a combination of education and experience that is equivalent.