Mechanic Level I
ENTRY SALARY $37,419 DUQ
MUST PROVIDE 10 YR DRIVING RECORD
GREAT BENEFITS & RETIREMENT
OPEN UNTIL 4/15/2022
- Performs and assists with skilled mechanical repair work on City-owned diesel- and gasoline-powered automobiles, trucks, and other light-to-heavy equipment, ensuring that repaired vehicles run properly and safely; to perform preventive maintenance on such equipment as scheduled, and to perform related work as required.
- Assists with diagnoses and mechanical repair work on diesel and gasoline-powered vehicles,
trucks, transit, fire apparatus and heavy equipment.
- Repairs and replaces engines, fuel injection systems, electronic engine controls, electrical systems, hydraulic systems, brake systems, HVAC systems, computer systems, drive trains, differentials, etc.
- Repairs emergency services and law enforcement vehicles; installs and maintains specialized
equipment on emergency vehicles as necessary.
- Performs welding and fabrication work as needed. Performs body work and painting as needed.
- Performs a variety of preventive maintenance duties as scheduled, including changing oil,
lubricating, replacing hoses and belts, replacing brakes, checking lights, and tuning engines.
- Changes and repairs tires on vehicles.
- Conducts road tests after repair work is completed to ensure that all vehicles are mechanically
safe and function properly.
- Provides emergency field assistance to disabled vehicles. Operates rollback / wrecker to transport broken down vehicles.
- Installs decals, striping and logos to all City vehicles.
- Assists in ordering and receiving parts and supplies as needed.
- Reviews work orders to ensure repairs are completed correctly and in a timely manner.
- Maintains records of work completed and parts used.
- Maintains assigned tools and equipment.
- Assists in maintaining a clean and orderly shop.
- Attends training, workshops, meetings, etc., as appropriate to maintain or enhance job knowledge and skills.
- Assist in emergency road repairs on medium and heavy equipment.
Requires high school diploma or GED equivalent or specialized vocational training.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
Requires two years’ experience and/or related training.
PHYSICAL AND DEXTERITY REQUIREMENTS:
Requires medium-to-heavy work that involves walking, standing, stooping, lifting, digging,
pushing or raising objects and involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a
recurring basis and 50 to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis.