Salary $61,727 DUQ
Open Until Filled
MUST PROVIDE 10 YEAR DRIVING RECORD
- Performs professional and technical work in current and long-range programs related to the development and implementation of land use and zoning plans and policies, capital improvements, infrastructure development and other City projects and programs; and to perform related work as assigned. The position works within a general outline of work to be performed and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision. The Zoning Administrator position reports directly to this position.
- Develops and/or assists in the development and implementation of growth management, land use, zoning, infrastructure and other plans to meet the City’s needs.
- Prepares and presents project information and staff recommendations to supervisor, committees, boards, commissions and other such groups as required. Provides significant assistance, support and reporting to the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Board of Architectural Review.
- Confers with and advises engineers, developers, architects, surveyors, property owners and citizens in the coordination of planning projects and in the interpretation and enforcement of City laws, policies and ordinances.
- Evaluates land use proposals, development designs, subdivision plans, etc., for compliance with City, county, state and federal laws, regulations, codes and ordinances; evaluates the impact of development proposals and makes recommendations.
- Performs site plan reviews for proposed development projects and conducts on-site compliance inspections prior to the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy.
- Processes land use applications; coordinates process with applicants, technical consultants and other agencies; performs site evaluations for proposed land usage; interprets regulations and informs applicants of required actions.
- Researches, gathers, interprets and prepares data for planning and zoning studies, reports and recommendations; prepares a variety of studies, briefs and reports for decision-making and presentation purposes.
- Reviews, evaluates and updates the City’s development standards, land use and zoning ordinances, and comprehensive plan as necessary.
- Performs computer mapping using the GIS system.
- Receives, reviews and responds to all requests for street lights and works with the utility company on developing lighting layout plans.
- Provides direct supervision to the Zoning Administrator, and may assist with zoning administration activities, including but not limited to reviewing and approving survey plats, home occupation applications, temporary use permits and sign permits.
- Assists in developing grant proposals for project / program funding, and in administering grant funds received.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, both verbally and in writing, requests for assistance and concerns pertaining to City planning projects, regulations and ordinances.
- Participates in department marketing and public relations efforts.
- Maintains records pertinent to planning and development programs and projects.
- Assists in coordinating department activities and functions with those of other City departments, County and other outside agencies as appropriate.
- Performs routine administrative / clerical work as required, including entering and retrieving computer data, preparing spreadsheets, copying and filing documents, assembling materials, preparing reports and correspondence, etc.
- Attends training, seminars, conferences, meetings, etc., to enhance job knowledge and skills.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Requires Bachelor’s degree or education and training equivalent to four years of college education in urban or regional planning or a closely related field. Master’s degree in City and Regional Planning/Urban Planning is preferred.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
- American Institute of Certified Planners certification is desirable.
- Requires over two years experience in local government planning or related experience in the private sector.
Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills with ability to develop strong professional working relationships across all levels of the organization and with the public. Ability to speak compound sentences using normal grammar and word form.
Ability to plan effectively, set priorities, make sound decisions, and to manage/complete multi-faceted projects in conjunction with normal activity.
Superior organizational skills, strong quality orientation, and high attention to detail.
Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and custom applications.
Strong ethical standards, reliability, professionalism, positive attitude, and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.