Salary $95,000 DUQ
Open Until Filled
MUST PROVIDE 10 DRIVING RECORD
- Responsible for overseeing all operations of water and sewer departments. Reports directly to the City Manager.
- Responsible for short and long term planning, personnel activities, customer relations, project management, and safety. Supervisory duties include instructing, assigning, and reviewing work of subordinates, maintaining standard through the effective coordination of activities, and handling basic personnel related issues such as hiring, training, disciplinary action, etc.
- In consultation with Water & Wastewater Department Managers, develops annual budgets for Utilities Department.
- Receives project descriptions and calculates job costs to determine operating budget for various projects. Monitor’s revenues and expenses, audits, and other financial activities to ensure the Division’s ability to meet its customer’s current and future demands.
- Evaluates the performance of department managers for compliance with established policies and objectives, and contributions in attaining objectives. Ensures that employees are treated fairly and consistently within the policies, procedures, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Continually reviews pending jobs and prioritizes for completion with input from the Water and Wastewater Department Managers.
- Communicates with City Manger and City Council concerning water and wastewater regulatory issues, short and long range plans, project status, and budgets.
- Works with other City Departments (Public Works, Planning, Fire, etc.) to develop and facilitate City projects, goals, and objectives.
- Communicates with developers and engineers concerning projects.
- Reviews engineering and other technical, operational, and financial reports to determine progress and status in attaining objectives and makes recommendations to the City Manager and Council; revising objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions. Reviews changes in Federal, State, and local laws, and guidelines and procedures that pertain to the division.
- Determines material requirements for pending projects and assists Department Managers in ordering materials, as necessary.
- Handles customer relation activities by answering questions, addressing complaints, and providing information. Maintains a constructive working relationship with a variety of governmental, industrial, and citizen groups.
- Provides input and supervision on projects.
- Receives, reviews, prepares, and processes various reports and documents to include employee payroll, vehicle maintenance, invoices, payments, architectural and engineering documents, legal correspondence, position applications, purchase orders, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals to include employees, customers, managers, developers, engineers, governmental agencies, contractors, and the general public.
- Provides leadership, direction, and general supervision to Water and Wastewater departments ensuring the development and construction of new facilities, operations, and maintenance of City owned and operated facilities are meeting objectives while complying with all applicable laws and regulations.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, environmental science, or engineering, emphasis on environmental services with a minimum of 6-8 years’ experience in the management of utility operations or utility consulting with project management experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the described duties.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
- Responsible for guiding others, requiring decisions affecting co-workers.
- Experience working with state and federal regulatory issues and officials, along with the political savvy to negotiate successful collaborations are vital to success.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
Beneficial Skills and Certifications
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain is a plus.
- Class “A” Water Distribution and/or Wastewater Treatment Certifications are preferred.
- First Aid / CPR certification
- Trenching and shoring certification; Confined space entry certification