• Operates a variety of light to heavy equipment at assigned job sites, which may include
dump trucks, tandem axle truck/trailers, knuckle-boom loaders, garbage collection
equipment, front-end loaders, bush hogs, skid steers, backhoes, trenchers, motor
graders, excavators, concrete mixers, leaf vacuum trucks/trailers, street sweepers, jet
rodders, and etc. Motor equipment operators may also operate snow removal equipment
to maintain streets, sidewalks, and driveways; may spread sand and salt on roadways /
walkways as necessary in inclement weather.
• Participates in a variety of skilled maintenance activities in assigned area of
responsibility, which may include but is not limited to maintenance of storm drainage
systems, performing repairs to landscaping and/or asphalt, street repairs, grass cutting
and weed-eating, a collection of residential and commercial garbage and trash, traffic
control, and etc.
• Inspects equipment to ensure proper and safe working condition; reports defects or
required maintenance to the supervisor.
• Performs routine maintenance and cleaning of assigned tools and equipment.
• Performs all duties in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations,
and standards of quality and safety.
• Assists co-workers with various duties as required.
• Maintains accurate and complete work, mileage and fuel records as required.
• Attends training, meetings, etc., as required to enhance job knowledge and skills.
• Responds to after-hours callbacks as needed to assist in clearing roads, drains and etc.
• It is understood that every incidental duty connected with operations detailed in this job
description is not always specifically described, and employees, at the discretion of the
The city may be required to perform duties, not within their job descriptions.
• Requires high school diploma, GED equivalent or specialized vocational training
• Must possess a valid state CDL driver’s license with appropriate endorsements.
• Requires six months to one year of experience as an equipment operator.
• Requires leading, operating or repairing complex machinery or equipment that requires extended training and experience, such as specialized trucks and equipment. Involves operations of limited scope.
• Requires heavy work that involves constantly lifting, pushing or raising objects, exerting between 50 and 75 pounds of force on a recurring basis and over 100 pounds of force on a frequent basis.
• The job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities, depth perception.
• Requires very few decisions affecting only the individual; works in a very stable environment with clear and uncomplicated written/oral instructions.