SANITATION AND ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES
- Central Business District Sanitation Service Map – This map shows the locations and service areas for the bulk containers in downtown Anderson.
- Recycling Information
- Disposal Tips
- Sanitation Schedule
- Trash Routes and Council Seat Boundaries
- Downtown Business Carts
The Sanitation Department’s primary functions are to retrieve and carry solid waste from city to landfill in an orderly, efficient manner.
- Delivers new, replacement and extra garbage carts to citizens within the city limits
- Provides same day collection of trash and garbage weekly
The City will provide one rollout cart for garbage to each customer per month at the cost of $9.50 with $5.00 of the fee going to general funds and $4.50 to the cost of the cart. This fee will be charged on your water bill. Extra carts at the same address will be charged an additional $9.50 per month fee. All carts remain the property of the City of Anderson.
The new telephone number to order a garbage cart or to place a work order for repair or replacement is (864) 231-2246.
Recycling household garbage reduces waste and saves natural resources and landfill space. Find out more about recycling and convenience center locations near you.
Your help is needed regarding the regular collection of trash. This beneficial service provides curbside trash collection to approximately 10,000 locations weekly. In order to provide this service effectively, efficiently, and according to the regulations, you must separate your trash.
There are four categories of trash. The listing below describes how to properly separate your trash in order to meet the mandatory requirements of the Anderson County Landfill, the City, and SCDHEC.
- Vegetative matter: Limbs, brush, grass clippings can be piled together; do not bag, box, or place in containers; keep free of plastic, garbage, paper. (Limbs can be no longer 4 foot and no larger than 12 inch in diameter.)
- Furniture, floor coverings, bathroom fixtures: These items may be piled together; do not bag or box these items; keep free of plastic, garbage, paper.
- Metal and appliances: Stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, and other metal may be piled together; do not bag or box; keep free of plastic, garbage, paper.
- Paper products and household garbage: Boxes, bags, paper products, household garbage, glass, cups, and plastic bottles are considered garbage and must be placed in a city-owned and approved garbage cart for collection on your scheduled collection day.
- Paint Cans: Paint cans cannot be placed in garbage carts. The City will retrieve paint cans from the curbside and dispose of them provided that the paint cans have been filled with sand or cat litter to absorb any remaining liquid.
Remember, the City cannot collect mixed trash. Even small amounts of paper or rocks placed on top of your grass clippings will result in delayed or lack of collection. Hidden and obstructed mixed trash can result in extra costs to repair damaged equipment or nonacceptance at the landfill.
If you have questions about how to properly dispose of trash, please call the Sanitation Department at (864) 231-2246. Please do your part to keep our streets clean and help the environment.
Weekly Sanitation Schedule
- Benson Street
- Earle Street (100)
- Orr Street (100)
- Main Street (100-499; evens numbers, 500-700)
- Earle Street
- Orr Street