BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS (BZA)
- Application to Serve on Board or Commission PDF
- Application to Serve on Board or Commission Online
- Meeting Schedule
The City of Anderson Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) has the authority to hear administrative reviews, variances and special exceptions.
The Board can hear and decide appeals where it is alleged the Zoning Administrator erred in an order, requirement, decision or determination. In such cases, the Board may reverse or affirm, wholly or in part, the Zoning Administrator’s actions. The Board has all the powers of the Zoning Administrator in such cases and may direct the issuance of a permit.
The Board has the power to hear and decide appeals for variances when strict application of the City of Anderson Zoning Ordinance would cause an unnecessary hardship. The Board may grant a variance for an unnecessary hardship if it makes and explains in writing all of the following findings:
- Extraordinary Conditions
There are extraordinary and exceptional conditions pertaining to the particular piece of property. Extraordinary conditions could exist due to topography, street widening or other conditions which make it difficult or impossible to make an economically feasible use of the property.
- Other Property
These conditions do not generally apply to other property in the vicinity.
Because of these conditions, the application of the ordinance to a particular piece of property would effectively prohibit or unreasonably restrict the utilization of the property.
The authorization of a variance will not be of substantial detriment to adjacent property or the public good, and the character of the district will not be harmed by granting of the variance.
The Board of Zoning Appeals can permit uses by Special Exception if the terms and conditions described in the Zoning Ordinance are met. The Zoning Ordinance must include the standards and conditions for the Board to follow when considering such appeals.
To schedule a hearing with the Board of Zoning Appeals
- Contact the City of Anderson Planning Department for a pre-application review. The Planning staff will work with the applicant to obtain the necessary information for the Board of Zoning Appeals. Applications and information must be in three weeks prior to the scheduled meeting.
- The Board of Zoning Appeals will make a decision regarding the request at their scheduled meeting.
- If approved, a Variance will be granted in order to proceed with the proposed project.
For more information about the Board of Zoning Appeals, or for assistance in completing the application process, please call the City of Anderson Planning Department at (864) 231-2222.